“Matroyshka Doll” or Russian Nesting paper doll activity
1. Locate the 2 Russian Doll Printouts at the bottom of this page and print one out for each participant.
2. Kid Step: Cut out the 3 Doll rectangles, then round the edges at the top. You may want to draw a curve on it for kids to follow.
3. Kid Step: Cut out the 3 doll Head circles
5. Kid Step: Cut out the 3 oval Scarves, trace them onto your chosen craft paper, and cut them out.
6. Kid Step: Draw faces on the 3 doll Heads
7. Kid Step: Color each Apron
8. Kid Step: Glue the Dolls together. To make it easier for kids to glue, squeeze some glue into a lid and let them use their fingers. It sounds messier, but it’s easier for little hands and helps avoid huge blobs of glue.
9. Glue the Head onto the Scarf. In my example I centered the head, however when I made the pattern I was thinking the bottom of each circle could line up.
10. Glue the Apron to the Doll. Make sure you only glue the sides and bottom, leave the top glue free so it forms a pocket for nesting. You may want to draw a line on the back of the apron so the kids know where to glue, or instead of glue, you can tape the edges of the apron onto the doll. Too much glue will make it hard for the dolls to nest. All done!