Amaze kids and adults with the NEW RAINBOW JELLO that ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE A RAINBOW created by yours truly. It’s super simple, fast, and you get all the colors and an adorable rainbow without spending hours layering.
I brought it to my nephews birthday party and everyone loved it. You could make this for lots of kind of parties; St. Patrick’s Day, My Little Pony, Rainbow Bright, Rainbow Loom, Rainbow Themed parties or whenever else you feel like having fun with Jello.
I have been wanting to try this idea since we did our Jello Jigglers Kids Art Activity. I was thrilled when it worked. You can also use this method to make other pictures and designs. Be creative!
Time: 20 Minutes
Category: Kid Friendly Recipe
Small box of blue, red, yellow, and green Jello
2 packets of plain Gelatin
2 cans of sweetened condensed milk
To Make Sky and Grass
1. Mix 1 cup hot water, 2/3 C sweetened condensed milk, and 2 packets of plain gelatin. Stir until smooth and dissolved. It should look creamy white. Angle long side of dish slightly by raising corners up (I put two lids under two corners) and pour white gelatin in.
2. Mix 1 cup hot water and packet of green Jello together. Stir until smooth and dissolved. Reserve 1/4 C of green Jello for rainbow.
3. Add 3/4 C sweetened condensed milk and stir until smooth. Slowly pour the green jello into dish starting at the raised side letting the green slowly drain down towards the white. (My green Jello was heavier than my white Jello so it slipped below the white, which is fine. I used the back of a spoon to brush the white down on top of the green so there was more white area for the rainbow.
4. Put dish in refrigerator for 10 minutes so it is slightly set on the top. In the meantime, make colors for rainbow.
To Make Colors
5. Mix 1 tbs of Jello, 2 tbs water, 1 tbs sweetened condensed milk. Stir until dissolved. Make sure to stir the colors periodically so they don’t set before you are ready to make your rainbow.
- To make purple I used 1 tsp. red and 1 tsp. blue
- To make my yellow brighter, I added a few drops of food coloring
To Make Rainbow
6. Remove dish from the refrigerator and place it on a flat surface. Take a small spoon and drip the color in an arch. Then, use the back of a small spoon to gently drag the color around as it floats on top of the white. Repeat until all colors of the rainbow are done. THAT’s IT!
|Use the spoon to fix any misplaced colors|
|A slice of rainbow|
I let my daughter play with the extra colors. She had so much fun. Eventually, we had mud looking Jello because she mixed all the colors together but it still tasted good and she had a ton of fun being creative.
|She titled this stage of her artwork, “Polka Dots”|