Take a small plastic cup like a fruit cup or yogurt cup and upcycle it into an adorable Pot of Gold that any Leprechaun or child you know will be sure to enjoy. This project is super easy and they turn out so cute! With a little prep work this craft is super easy and fun for the kids to make. On St. Patrick’s Day Eve we are going to set our pots of gold out in hopes that a sneaky Leprechaun will leave some yummy treats inside in the morning.
1. Wash and dry the fruit cups. Punch two holes on each side of the fruit cups. I was surprised at how easy it was to punch through. My fruit cups had a logo on each side so I used it to guide my punches.
3. Spray fruit cups with one coat of black spray paint and let it dry. Repeat until completely coated. I sprayed 2 coats that took 10 minutes each to dry.
4. To make the handle, push one end of the pipe cleaner inside the fruit cup and fold it so it makes a spiral large enough that wont slip out of the hole. Repeat on the other side.
5. Glue the ribbon or rick rack to the top of the cup. I cut two pieces of ribbon for each cup so the ribbon did not interfere with the pipe cleaner. This was a bit difficult for my daughter to do, so you may want to have this step completed and dried before the activity.
6. Decorate your pot of gold. I recommend putting the glue in a lid, and letting kids use toothpicks to apply the glue because it is hard for little hands to squeeze glue bottles with control. This worked really well for my daughter. Once it’s dry, it’s ready for some gold.