Paper Bag Horse Hat Kids Craft
A cute and simple to make paper bag hat that doesn’t require a lot of supplies or clean up. Your kid will be prancing and galloping in no time.
In light of Chinese New Year January 31st 2014, I thought we needed to make a Horse craft. My daughter and I came up with this craft. She had so much fun decorating her horse and running around like a pony afterwards. We are going to have a good Chinese New Year. I hope you do too! Fun information of the Year of the Horse
Horse Hat Printout
Paper bag 1 per participant
Any Colors-markers, pencils, or glitter glue pens
Extra Pinch: Yarn and a hole punch (Only needed if you follow the extra pinch step)
***Kid Steps are indicated, but may need to be performed by an adult depending on the age and skill level of the child. ***
Step By Step:
1. Locate the Horse Hat Printout at the bottom of this page, print it out, and cut out the outside edges. I provided printing directions with the printout.
2. Kid Step: Remove the handles and rip open the bottom of the paper bag. Lay the bag flat and cut a 3 in. strip across the top.
3. Cut the strip apart and open it up so the inside of the bag is now on the outside so no advertisements are on the band. (I realized this step was needed, after our hat was finished) Measure child’s head and tape band closed.
4. Kid Step: Cut along one of the side creases on the paper bag. Then, fold the bag again along one of the original side creases. Make sure it lays flat and is only 2 layers thick all over. Place the Horse Hat printout with the ears at the top of the creased edge.
5. Kid Step: Trace the horse onto the bag and then cut it out. Open it up so the inside of the bag is now on the outside and decorate the horse.
Create a mane-Choose Regular or Extra Pinch Directions
- 6. Regular:
- Take the handles of the bag and cut strips to look like hair.
- Tape to the inside of the horse
- 6. Extra Pinch:
- Kid Step: If you have yarn, it looks really cute if you make a yarn mane. To do this, punch 3 holes at the top of the horses with a hole punch or scissors.
- Kid Step: Then cut twelve 13 in. pieces of yarn. String two pieces of yarn through each hole until it reaches the middle. Tie a knot to secure the yarn.
Complete Horse Hat Headband
7. Kid Step: Open the horse up and attach the bottom of the horse to each side of the headband so the horse stands up on top of the headband like a teepee.
Horse Hat Printout
Right Click on picture and select Save Image As. Select a name and location on your computer to save the printout. Open the printout from your computer and print it out on 8×11 paper.