Update: My husband brought me roses and a sweet card, awwww 🙂 . We had a great Valentines dinner with these awesome cupcakes for dessert accompanied with strawberries and whipped cream. Yummy!
The great thing about these cupcake toppers is they are simple enough kiddos can join in the fun! Just cut out small circles of cake, use a Hershey Kiss for the point, and frost away. Easy as that!
Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cupcake mix)
Cake Ball Pan or Loaf Pan
Small Round Cookie Cutter (the circumference should be about the same as a Hershey Kiss)
Hershey Kisses (1 for each cupcake)
Frosting colored red
Extra Pinch Optional (Marshmallow Fondant Circles for base of heart)
1 C. Marshmallows
1 tsp. Water
1 C. Powder Sugar or until firm
- Mix cupcake batter and fill a small greased pan (like a loaf pan) so the batter reaches 1/2 inch high or I used the bottom part of a cake ball pan and made 2 cake ball bottoms for every cupcake. I put a TBS. of batter into each cake ball cup. (I made 18)
- Use the remaining batter to fill cupcakes a little over 1/2 full. (I made 9). My cake ball pan baked for 15 minutes and my cupcakes baked for 20. I checked on them every 5 minutes just to make sure.
- While cupcakes are baking, cut one side off of each Hershey Kiss. You will need one Hershey Kiss per cupcake because the part that is cut off crumbles.
- I found it easiest to cut on the side of the point, instead of trying to cut it directly down the middle.
- Once your loaf pan or cake ball pan is done baking and had time to cool, cut out two small circles for the top of each heart.
- Frost cupcake (Skip this step if going for the Extra Pinch). Place the two small cake circles next to each other on the cupcake and put Hershey Kiss flat side down right next to the circles with the top of the Hershey kiss pointing towards the edge of the cupcake to form a heart.
- Make marshmallow fondant by putting marshmallows in a microwavable dish and microwaving until marshmallows are melted. Mine took 1.5 minutes. Be careful the marshmallows do not spill over. Next, mix powdered sugar in until it gets hard to stir. Finally, knead the fondant on a surface that has been covered with powdered sugar.
- Cut out fondant circles the same size as the top of your cupcakes. I used marshmallow fondant for my red circles and store bought fondant for my black circles (because I don’t have black food coloring).
- Place heart pieces on top of fondant circles. Make sure to add a blob of frosting to each piece of the heart to secure it to the fondant. Then place the fondant on top of the cupcake using another blob of frosting to secure.
- Put a big blob of frosting on top of the heart and smooth out.
- Sprinkle heart with sprinkles and brush away extra sprinkles and your done.