I am determined to do more 10 frames activities with my kids because it provides a perfect visual basis for learning numbers, counting, subitizing, adding, and subtracting and the frame stays the same so keeping continuity between activities can help make learning easier (instead of always having to learn the rules of a new activity).
Since Legos are always a big hit in my house I thought we would add them into our 10 frames activities to keep the kids learning while they played with toys–so grab a bucket of Legos and let’s get math time started! You should also try this Preschool Block Challenge to activate those little brains, with a fun and easy activity.
10 Frames Math with Legos
Legos (We like this set of LEGO DUPLO BLOCKS-affiliate link because they are easy for the kids to manipulate–don’t want to cause frustration)
We used the 10 frames chart (available to download towards the end of this post)
Activities Ideas to Try:
Empty and Full
- Put one Lego on each frame. Have child roll a die and remove a certain amount of Legos. Count the empty frames and then count the full frames.
- Have child roll a die and put the number of Legos on each frame. Then have them count the empty spaces.
Colors and Number Recognition
- Put one Lego on each frame. Ask child to find all the Legos and remove them from the board according to color. As they remove each one have the child name the number the Lego is on.
Build and Stack
- Have the child build stacks with the correct number of Legos on each frame. (You may need to break the tall stacks down into a stack of 5 and put the remaining Legos in a second stack).
Find the Stack
- Take the stacks off the chart and have child count the number of Legos in each stack and place it on the frame in the correct spot.
The first time we did this activity Little Dragon sat just long enough to make it through numbers 1-5 which was awesome. Basically, go at your child’s pace and have fun!
See more: Math Activities Here
See more: Preschool Activities Here
Math Activities by the Creative Preschool Team
Fun Dinosaur Graphing Activity for Preschoolers by Artsy Momma
Bumblebee Preschool Math Printable by I Heart Crafty Things
Playful Math Learning with Building Toys by Pink Stripey Socks
Math + Art Creative Drawing Game by Hand Made Kids Art
Shaving Cream Subtraction Smash! by School Time Snippets
DOWNLOAD THE PRINTABLE HERE:
Don’t see the box? CLICK HERE to be directed to the download.