This is a plan ahead activity, the marshmallows have to sit for 8 hours to set. With patience, comes peppermint marshmallow perfection. When your done, it’s time to grab a cup, and cuddle up.
1. Grease the bottom and sides of two 8×8 pans with the butter. Put a tablespoon of powdered sugar in each pan and shake it around so the pan is coated.
4. The recipe says if you don’t have a thermometer, to test if it is ready, drop a small amount of the mixture into a cup of very cold water and” forms a ball that holds its shape but is pliable.” I put one ice cube in my water and dropped some mixture in. It sunk to the bottom and did not form a ball on its own. I scooped up the mixture and formed a ball with my hands and put it back into the water and it did not dissolve.
5. Slowly and carefully (because it’s hot and sticky) pour mixture into softened gelatin while beating on low. Increase speed to high and beat 8-10 minutes. I turned on a timer, and when I returned it had magically turned white, fluffy, and like marshmallow cream.
6. Dump ½ of the marshmallow cream into Pan 1 (pink and white). Wet fingers with water, and slide them across the cream to spread and smooth it out.
7. Add the peppermint extract to the remaining mixture in the bowl, stir it in, and dump ¾ of the marshmallow cream into Pan 2 (peppermint swirl). Wet fingers again and smooth out marshmallow cream.
1. To make the pink and white sprinkle hearts I put some sprinkles in a bowl to have ready once the marshmallows are cut. Then, dipped the heart cookie cutter into powdered sugar to avoid sticking, and cut out hearts from ½ the pan. Put each marshmallow into the sprinkle bowl and roll around making sure all the sticky edges get coated with sprinkles.
Pan 2 (peppermint swirl)
1. To make the peppermint swirl hearts dip the cookie cutter in powdered sugar and cut out the hearts. Put each marshmallow into the powdered sugar and roll around making sure all the sticky edges are coated (for the last time).
Step By Step
- Put marshmallows in gift bag. I stuffed my bag with tissue paper to make it look full without using all my marshmallows on one valentine.
- Add hot chocolate packet.
- Make a tag. I found heart confetti that matched my bags, so I simply punched a hole in it and tied it onto the bag with a tulle bow. Tulle is so forgiving, just pretend you are tying your shoe and it will look great!
- Write a message:
- You Melt My Heart
- You’re Pretty Hot Stuff
- Your So Hot Your Cool
If you have a lot to make (a classroom full) you could wrap a single marshmallow in cellophane, punch a hole at the top of the hot chocolate where it’s glued closed, and use the tulle to tie it all together.