In my opinion, this recipe is better than the rest. It makes perfect sweet pork that tastes exactly like you are eating out. I had previously tried a Café Rio copycat recipe, but my husband said it fell short and the pork wasn’t as sweet as the real thing. So, I had a genius idea to add Maple Syrup to the recipe, and poof…PORK PERFECTION!
I don’t have any step-by-step pictures because I was just experimenting while preparing dinner for our Super Bowl party, but once I added a Pinch of Perfect (Maple Syrup:), it ended up so good I had to share it with you.
I started cooking my roast later then planned, so to speed up the cooking I came up with the Fast Method which worked fine for the size of my roast. The original recipe suggests the Slow Method. Either one should work, but ultimately depends on the size of your roast..
2 lbs Boneless Pork Roast
2/3 C. Salsa
½ C. Dark Soda I used Pepsi
¼ C. Maple Syrup
Approx. 2/3 C. Brown Sugar
1. Place the pork roast in your Crockpot and fill with water so the water line reaches half way up the roast.
2. Cook Roast:
Slow Method: Cook roast on low for 5 hours
Fast Method: Cook on high 2 hours, and low for 1 hour
3. Drain off the water and cut the pork into thirds.
4. Put ¼ C. of Maple syrup in a 2/3rd C. dry measuring cup then add brown sugar to the same measuring cup and pack down until it is full.
5. Add salsa and soda to the sugar and syrup and stir, then dump everything on top of the pork.
6. Cook Roast:
Slow Method: Cook on low 3 hours or until pork shreds
Fast Method: Cook roast on low for 1 hour or until pork shreds
7. Shred pork and serve any way you like.
We make taco salad with the pork by adding the following:
Sour Cream, Cilantro sauce, or Ranch
If you think this recipe is yummy, be sure to stick around for more! Please support A Little Pinch of Perfect and become a follower. Thanks for visiting!-Katie